Burned- Chapter 5

Aphrodite meets Mason at the back of the school bus right after dismissal. “Hey, Mason!”, Aphrodite yelled, trying to have him hear her over all of the other conversations. “Aphrodite!”, Mason shouted as he jogged down towards the end of the bus. As soon as Aphrodite spotted his hand she wanted to grab it; she pulled her hand away, remembering what had happened in the janitors closet.

Aphrodite sat in the window seat while Mason took a seat next to her. “We’re you born with your powers, Mason?”, Aphrodite whispered, not wanting anyone to overhear their conversation.” Yeah. My parents had to put my hands in these really cool looking gloves, so I wouldn’t give anyone frostbite.” Mason said with the same dopey grin on his face that Aphrodite always noticed. ” Do you know about Maru Manh, Mason. Athena told me about him. Is he really, like the ruler of the underworld?” Aphrodite asked, her voice shaking at the thought of someone being that evil. ” Yeah. He’s been the ruler there for thousands of years. I’m sorry about your mom though, Aphrodite. Really.” Mason said starring at Aphrodite’s frown, hoping he could make her feel better.” Thanks Mason. But what I’m really confused about is if I really have to battle this dude.” Aphrodite raised her face to look out of the dirty bus window. ” Well my mom would tell me about all the people that attempted to defeat him. They all failed though. But they aren’t you Aphrodite.”

Mason then gently grabbed Aphrodite’s resting hand. This time she neither of them fell to the ground. She looked into Masons deep stare, almost drowning in his gaze. ” Ha! Thanks for the compliment Mason, but I have to learn how to control whatever powers I have before thinking I can defeat anyone.” Aphrodite said sarcastically, letting go of Masons hand, not wanting him to think she has a crush on him, but who knows if she does? ” Can you not be sarcastic at a moment like this Aphrodite?!” Mason said jokingly, shoving her on the shoulder playfully.

The bus was driving up to Aphrodite’s bus stop, where she would soon exit the rusty metal vehicle.”Hey, Mason?” Aphrodite said. “Yeah Aphrodite?” Mason replied. “Can you help me learn how to control my powers?”. When Aphrodite asked that question Masons face lit up. “Of course Aphrodite. Come to my house after school tomorrow?” The thought of entering Masons home had made her stomach lurch, but she accepted anyways. Mason scrawled his address on Aphrodite’s hand quickly before she stepped off the bus.

Aphrodite began to walk to the front of the bus. “Bye Frosty!” Aphrodite said with a huge grin splatted on her freckly face. “Whatever Chocolate Chip!” Mason said waving Aphrodite off the bus. Aphrodite stood next to the stop sign, her eyes glued to the bus quickly disappearing in the evening mist. Suddenly, Aphrodite’s ears get shocked by a loud honk! “Ah!” Aphrodite exclaimed, quickly turning around so she could see who had honked at her. Of course it was her mom. “Mom!” Aphrodite said jogging quickly to the car. “Hey, Hon Bun.” said Aphrodite’s mom giving her a squeeze on the shoulder as she buckled herself. ” I got a call from the nurses office about you fainting or feeling woozy today, Honey. Are you feeling better?” Aphrodite then remembered that her parents did know about who she is and what she can do.

Aphrodite decides not to bring that up at the moment. Mostly because she was in a really good mood, since her conversation with Mason on the bus. “Oh I’m feeling way better now. Probably just bad lunch or something.” Aphrodite moved to rest her head on the window next to her. Her body tingled when the AC touched her skin. Maybe her body was warming itself up in its own weird way. Aphrodite was really tired. The rest of the ride home was a daze. She probably slept through all of it.

When Aphrodite arrives home she tells her mom she’s gonna take a quick nap. “Okay Honey! Just don’t forget to do your homework!”. Aphrodite shot up a thumbs up; letting her mother now that she heard her. She swung her bedroom door open and plopped herself onto her bed. Her eyes spot the pair of burned pajama pants on the bedroom floor. Realizing that so much has happened in only 24 hours. It felt like she’d known Mason for much longer, rather than just meeting him the same morning. Aphrodite falls quickly into a deep sleep. For a while she doesn’t dream of anything. Then Aphrodite’s skin starts to tingle. This time in a more painful way than when she was in the car.

She opened her eyes, noticing that she wasn’t on her bed anymore. She was now surrounded by a blazing bushfire. Panic fills Aphrodite’s thoughts as she tries to find a way out of this cage of heat. Then a strong gust of wind started to fill the unmoving air. It was so powerful that Aphrodite was trapped on the ground, underneath the powerful for of the mysterious gust. Then the air thickens. Aphrodite’s throat becomes clenched and starts to burn. There she lays on the ground shuddering for every breath she attempted to take. Aphrodite now notices a huge black figure standing before her. She can now breathe, but decides to hold her breath, just in case. He looks so familiar, but she knows she’s never seen him before. His eyes glowed a bright red, burning her pupils. He leans near her ear. And says hoarsely, ” Hello daughter.”